Many of you who have taken my classes have heard me say, “Hollywood Squares, Agree or Disagree?”
I LOVED watching Hollywood Squares when I was growing up. When Paul Lynde was in the center square, you knew there would be at least one good belly laugh.
The contestants would choose a star in a square and the star would be asked a question. The contestant then had to agree or disagree. If the contestant was correct, they would get the square. If they got it wrong, the square would go to their opponent until the last square in the sequence of three.
Here is a list of some of my favorite answers. Those of you that remember the show will enjoy this jog down memory lane.
Q . Paul, what is a good reason for pounding meat?
- Paul Lynde: Loneliness! (The audience laughed so long and so hard it took up almost 15 minutes of the show!)
- It is the most abused and neglected part of your body, what is it?
- Paul Lynde: Mine may be abused, but it certainly isn’t neglected.
- Do female frogs croak?
- Paul Lynde: If you hold their little heads under water long enough.
- If you’re going to make a parachute jump, at least how high should you be?
- Charley Weaver: Three days of steady drinking should do it.
- True or False, a pea can last as long as 5,000 years?
- George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.
- You’ve been having trouble going to sleep. Are you probably a man or a woman?
- Don Knotts: That’s what’s been keeping me awake.
- According to Cosmopolitan, if you meet a stranger at a party and you think that he is attractive, is it okay to come out and ask him if he’s married?
A.. Rose Marie: No, wait until morning.
- Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?
- Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.
- What are ‘Do It,’ ‘I Can Help,’ and ‘I Can’t Get Enough’?
A.George Gobel: I don’t know, but it’s coming from the next apartment.
- As you grow older, do you tend to gesture more or less with your hands while talking?
- Rose Marie: You ask me one more growing old question Peter, and I’ll give you a gesture you’ll never forget.
- Paul, why do Hell’s Angels wear leather?
- Paul Lynde: Because chiffon wrinkles too easily.
- Charley, you’ve just decided to grow strawberries. Are you going to get any during the first year?
- Charley Weaver: Of course not, I’m too busy growing strawberries.
- In bowling, what’s a perfect score?
- Rose Marie: Ralph, the pin boy.
- During a tornado, are you safer in the bedroom or in the closet?
- Rose Marie: Unfortunately Peter, I’m always safe in the bedroom.
- Can boys join the Camp Fire Girls?
- Marty Allen: Only after lights out.
- When you pat a dog on its head he will wag his tail. What will a goose do?
- Paul Lynde: Make him bark?
- If you were pregnant for two years, what would you give birth to?
- Paul Lynde: Whatever it is, it would never be afraid of the dark..
- According to Ann Landers, is there anything wrong with getting into the habit of kissing a lot of people?
- Charley Weaver: It got me out of the army.
- Back in the old days, when Great Grandpa put horseradish on his head, what was he trying to do?
- George Gobel: Get it in his mouth.
- Jackie Gleason recently revealed that he firmly believes in them and has actually seen them on at least two occasions. What are they?
- Charley Weaver: His feet.
- According to Ann Landers, what are two things you should never do in bed?
- Paul Lynde: Point and laugh.